IT (System) Administrator
The National Elections Commission profoundly deploys windows based computer systems and software platforms for effective handling of its electoral needs both at headquarters and 19 magisterial offices across the country. The IT System Administrator will assist the Director of Information Technology in the planning, coordination and implementation of these different systems. The IT System Administrator will assist in the management of servers, network equipment and other related ICT infrastructures in strict compliance with COBIT (Control Objectives for Information and Related Technology) framework. Professionalized acumen of the post holder is necessary, as the role is critical to the operational effectiveness and readiness of the computing environment in use at the commission. The role entails the setup and configuration of operating systems (windows), cloud based emailing systems, firewall customization and broadband fiber connectivity for internet services.
The IT System Administrator will ensure the upkeep, configuration and resilient operation of windows server to workstation environment within the commission. Additionally, the IT System Administrator must also ensure that the computing systems of the commission remains current and available, while at the same time averting any possible breach, sniffing, intrusion and cyber-attacks, thereby minimizing downtimes.
The National Elections Commission, is in search of an IT System Administrator to assist the Director of Information Technology in the maintenance, upgrade and management of the commission’s networking infrastructure, software and hardware.
Excellent diagnostics skills and prudent resolving of systems issues are cardinal to the post, and resourcefulness is a necessary skill set required for the role. The post holder should also have the patience to communicate with users and the tenacity to advance new approaches where applicable.
The paramount objective of the post is that the holder must endeavor to keep the computing systems infrastructure in use at the commission operational and effectively compliant to ITIL standards.
Term of reference for IT Systems Administrator
- Installation/Configuration of network hardware like routers, switches and Network Printers and also software applications
- Upgrading and Troubleshooting network downtimes, and applying repairs when applicable
- Monitor network performance (availability, utilization, and latency)
- Install/Integrate new server hardware and deploy application
- Install/Configure hardware & software application for Laptops and Desktops
- Assist in maintenance of computing hardware and networking equipment
- Assist in the management of servers. (Domain Controllers, Active Directory- Setup user accounts and workstations, permissions/passwords and Anti-Virus Server);
- Assist in the management of IT help Desk Server;
- Ensure network security and connectivity through basic testing; ensuring security through access controls, backups and firewall so as to avoid intrusion or attack from hackers or unauthorized individuals
- Develop training approaches expertise to deliver quality training to users on new technologies
- Build an internal wiki with technical documentation, manuals and IT policies;
- Assist in the management and maintenance of networking equipment and devices in LAN (Local Area Network) at headquarters and WAN (Wider Area Network)-VSAT Systems at 19 Magisterial offices across the country;
- Assist in the management of Photovoltaic Systems in use at headquarters and 19 magisterial offices.
Requirements for IT System Administrator
- BSc in Information Technology, Computer Science or equivalent experience in related discipline; professional IT industry certification a must have (e.g. Microsoft Certified Systems Administrator (MCSA);
- Proven work experience as a System Administrator/Network Administrator
- Proven experience leading and managing large IT projects and rolling out of IT infrastructures across various technologies
- Knowledge of Network Access Storage (NAS) technology and management;
- Experience with databases, networks (LAN, WAN) and patch management
- Workable knowledge of VSAT Systems installation, configuration, deployment and maintenance;
- In depth understanding and knowledge of systems security (e.g. intrusion detection systems)
- Knowledge of Windows Data backup and Recovery technology plus full knowledge on Virtualization operability;
- Excellent knowledge of technical management, information analysis and of computer hardware/software systems
- Knowledge of technology invocation cycles for change management
- Resourcefulness and problem-solving demeanor
- Excellent communication skills, with firm grasp of reliable best practices in ICT infrastructure (ITIL standards)
- Industry Standard Certification for Systems Administration/System Engineer certification Microsoft (MCSE), Certification from CISCO is a plus.
- Demonstrate ability to work under stress to meet deadlines, as ICT infrastructure management is the backbone for all electoral processes systems management.
All applications should be addressed to:
The Director of Human Resource
National Elections Commission
Tubman Boulevard, 9th & 10th Streets
Qualified female are highly encouraged to apply.
Deadline for application is August 10, 2020
NOTE: Only short-listed candidates will be contacted for an interview.